Let me just start by saying - I love love love being a mom...but it kills me when my baby is sick!
The plan was to meet at the pediatric clinic and I would take him to his appointment and spend the afternoon with him so Nate could get some work done. While Graham and I were waiting for the doctor to come in, he started screaming again. The doctor came in, looked him over and then sent us downtown to Blanks Children's Hospital ER - she was afraid that there might be a kink in his intestines because he would scream and then be fine, scream again and then be fine.
So, as calmly as possible, I got Graham downtown as quickly as I could. Nate met us down there and we got checked in. We changed Graham into his tiny hospital gown and met with the doctor. They started us out by taking x-rays of Graham's tummy. When those came back fine they sent us to get an ultrasound. I have never seen Graham sit so still - it was bizarre. (He did try to "help" the ultrasound tech though...he kept putting his hand on hers as she worked. :)) After that we were sent back to our room for more waiting. When the ultrasound came back normal they decided to give him a catheter to take a urine sample. At the end of our 4.5 hour stay in the ER, Graham's urine sample led the doctor to believe that he has a urinary track infection - very uncommon for babies, especially boys - due to the high level of white blood cells they found. They are going to keep monitoring the urine culture to determine if that is in fact what the problem is. In the meantime, they gave us a prescription antibiotic for the UTI and told us to keep him on Tylenol until his fever comes down. We were also instructed to contact Graham's pediatrician for next steps on a workup to see why this could have happened.
It was a rough day for our baby - and for us - but he has been medicated and is sleeping. Hopefully when he wakes he'll be feeling more like himself. I'm so used to seeing his big smile and kicking legs...it's difficult to see him any other way.
![]() |
| Waiting for the ultrasound |
![]() |
| Extra snuggles to make the baby better |


1 comment:
So scary! Glad everything is ok!
Post a Comment